HOÀNG VAN VÂN (Tổng chủ biên) - LƯƠNG QUỲNH TRANG (Chủ bién)
NGUYỄN THỊ CHI - LÊ KIM DUNG - PHAN CHÍ NGHĨA - NGUYỀN THỤY PHƯƠNG
LAN - vũ MAI TRANG
Với sự cộng tác của DAVID KAYE
NHÀ XUẤT BẢN GIÁO DỤC VIệT NAM
TẠP ĐOAN XUẤT BẢN GIÁO DỤC PEARSON
UNIT 1: LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
1 Look at the sentences below. Put the underlined words into the correct column according to
whether they are normally stressed or unstressed in a sentence.
1. My village is famous for making drums.
2. Hand-embroidered tablecloths are very expensive.
3. What is your favourite place of interest in the city?
4. This park isn't attractive to young people.
5. When will you finish weaving the basket?
6. The artisans are carving the eggshells carefully.
2 Underline the content words in the sentences. Practise reading the sentences aloud.
1. My carpets were woven by a famous artisan.
2. In his free time, my brother often goes for a walk in the park.
3. They didn't make this table by hand.
4. People love going to museums to widen their knowledge.
5. Where can I find similar vases?
6. We changed the design of our traditional products to attract more customers.
B VOCABULARY & GRAMMAR
1 Complete each sentence with a word/phrase from the box. There is one extra word/phrase.
drum silk lacquerware
1. These products are called because they are decoratively covered with
2. These _________ are made of thin bamboo strips that are woven together.
3. To play this _________ you should use your hands, not sticks.
4. This vase is a beautiful piece of _________ It's made from clay dug from
our river banks.
5. Lots of Vietnamese girls like wearing . _________ and ao dai.
6. When I go somewhere on holiday, I usually buy _________ as souvenirs because I
love works of art.
2. Choose A, B, C, or D complete each sentence.
1, The flower was
A, carved /
... out of a single piece of valuable wood.
2. In this town, they all the frames in steel _________
D. cast /
3. She is skilled at ________ cloth.
B. weaving /
4. If you like, I can flowers on the cushion covers for you.
c. embroider /
5. Is it true that ________ you this woollen hat yourself?
6. The doll has been „ out of clay.
D. moulded /
3 Complete the passage by filling each blank with the correct form of the word in brackets.
Some people ask me if I like living in my hometown. The answer is certainly ‘yes’,
The simple reason is that it has lots of (1. interest) _____________places. If you want
to widen your knowledge of the past, you can go to the museum. It's a (2. history)
_____________ building, with a big collection of valuable artefacts. There is also a craft
village in my hometown. There, the (3. village) _____________ make drums.
Their drums are not only famous in the (4. local) _____________but also nationwide.
You can visit the old workshop, where drums are still made in the traditional way,
Some of them are huge! Another (5. attract) _____________ in my hometown is the local
library. It's an (6. educate) _____________where anyone can borrow books and take them
home to read. Besides, it also has a (7. read) _____________club. I'm one of its members, and
we gather once a week to discuss what we've read together. My hometown is also a (8.
culture) _____________ centre, with many I traditional festivals and activities. I love it very
4 Choose A, B, c, or D to complete the sentences.
1. I love going to this place______it's the quietest place in the city,
B. though y
C. so that
2. They keep changing the decoration of the shop they can attract more young people.
A. so that
C . although
3. she's young, she's the most famous artisan in the village.
C . Whereas
D. In order to
4. Do you know who's.......... his pottery workshop?
A bringing out
B taking over
C. passing down D. turning down
5. I've the product catalogue and decided to buy this table,
A found out
B. closed down
C . looked through D. lived on
6. This sports centre is so small that it cannot the demands of local residents,
A keep up with
B. face up to
C. deal about D set up
5 Make a complex sentence from each pair of sentences. Use the subordinator provided
in brackets and make any necessary changes.
1. There are modem knitting machines. The artisans in my village like using traditional
2. Many children like to go to BatTrang Ceramic village. They can make their own pottery
3. We have to follow more than ten stages. We can make a simple conical hat. (so that)
4. Sinh paintings are special.They are burned after worship, (since)
5. We'll have to phone you first Then well organise the trip, (before)
6. We were visiting an old building.They were going to a traditional market, (while)
6 Complete each sentence using a verb from A in the correct form and a particle from B.
You can use any particle more than once.
1. What time does your mother usually 1‘p in the morning?
2 We must pwf the train times so that we can take the earliest train to Hai
3. My favourite writer has 1^0kanother best-seller.
4. We're …… lots of complaints from customers about the quality of
4. We're these shirts.
5. Why did you if ksc npy h your workshop? I thought that it was
1 Complete the conversation below with the statements (A G). Then practise it with a
A. Shirts, ties, scarves, handbags, and 50me other things.
B. Well, they are of high quality and very versa tile, ihey make the wearers feel cool In and
warm in winter.
C It's well known for silk and silk products. We're very proud to be one of the most famous
silk villages in Viet Nam.
D Yes, we do. We still use traditional looms to wetive the silk.
E. We have to change the* designs of our products and improve their quality all the
time,There's a lot of competition from the other silk villages.
F. Yes, of course. A lot of households open their own shops I r) the village. We also export
our silk products to other countries.
It depends. If you buy Ồ silk scarf with hand-embroidered decoration, it'll be very expensive,
Other else/l think …….are reasonable.
Reporter: Could you tell us what your village Is famous for?
Reporter What kinds of silk products do you make?
Artisan: (2) ________
Reporter: Are your products expensive?
Artisan: (3) ________
Reporter: Do you weave your own silk?
Artisan: (4) ________
Reporter: What's special about your silk product}?
Artisan: (5) ________
Reporter: Fantastic! Can you make a living from illk making?
Artisan: (6) ________
Reporter: That's great! What do you foot?
Artisan: (7) ________
Reporter: That's understandably rlghơ Thank you for the interview.
Artisan: You're welcome,
2 Now think about a famous product made in your local area or a famous product you
know about. Work with another student and make up a similar conversation to the one
in 1. Focus on:
the name of the product
reasons why it is famous
its special characteristics
any challenge it facts
whether people can live on product/making it
1 Choose the correct answer A, B, c, or D to complete Mi's email to her new friend, Elisa
Subject: My favourite places of interest
Thanks very much for your email. It was fun to read about the places you find interesting.
1(1)_______like going to museums in my
free time. There are several museums in my city, but I like the Museum of Fine Arts the most.
I love art, so (2)'™L_l have free time, I go to this museum. There's a great
mix (3) __art from across the eras,
including iome really impressive modern Vietnamese paintings. What I especially like about
the museum is that (4) n[L of its galleries have an introduction in Vietnamese, English, and
French. It (5) IW*A that I can learn lots of English while enjoying the art works.
Another place of interest that I love is the (6) loCctỊ', park. It's near my house, so I go there
almost every day. Sometimes I go for a walk around the park with my mother. Sometimes I
choose a beautiful place in it to sit and draw some sketches. And sometimes I just sit (7) ỐỴV
a bench, doing nothing, just watching people passing by. It's really relaxing.
I hope someday I'll have a (8)_____ to visit your National Portrait
Gallery and Hyde Park.
Until the next email,
1. A. don't like B. interested in c. also ^ D. will
2. A because
D. when /
B. of /
4. A. all ^
5. A. means 1 B. shows
c. proves D. tells
6. A. locality
D. local ^
7. A. in
c. on /
8. A.chance /
B opportunity c. time
2. Fill each blank with a suitable word from the box to complete a passage about Doi
Tam Drum-making village.
more since amazed
- We went to Doi Tam, a village (1) …………. its drum making techniques, in Ha Nam
Province last month. The craft was first (2) …………. to the village sometime in the 8th or
9th century. Today there are (3) …………. than six hundred drum makers living in Doi Tam
village. I was (4) …………. to see big drums in front of every house in the village.
People say that it (5) …………. four workers three days to make a drum with a diameter of
1.5 metres. To make a drum, the craftsmen have to (6) …………. ỵan eight stage process.
Stretching the drumhead is the most challenging stage (7) …………. they have to carefully
assess the sound it makes.The other steps'do not require such high skills.
Nowadays, Doi Tam drums are not only famous in Viet Nam but are also (8) …………. to
other countries such as Laos, Cambodia, Japan, and the USA.
3 Read a passage about the Somerset Levels and do the exercises that follow.
Last year I visited the Somerset Levels, a coastal plain and wetland area in Somerset, South
West England. This area is home to one of Somerset's oldest traditional crafts - willow basket
making. Basket making began in the area a long time ago. At the beginning of the 19th
century, more than three thousand acres of willow trees were planted commercially there
because the area provided an excellent natural habitat for their cultivation.
I'd seen willow baskets before I visited the Levels, but I was still amazed at the variety of
products made by the basket makers there. They make lobster pots, bread trays, and even
passenger baskets for hot air balloons.
Although the arrival of plastics in the 1950s caused the basket making industry to decline,
willow growing and basket making have continued to play a significant role in Somerset's
Willow growers and basket makers have dealt with this challenge by finding new markets and
innovative ways of using willow(They make willow charcoal for artists, and bower seats for
gardens. Some even weave willow coffin .Therefore, people here can still live on the craft that
their great-grandparents passed down to them.
C. Match the words with their definitions.
A. existing In large numbers
B. introducing or using new ideas, ways of doing something, etc
C. in a way that Is connected with the buying and selling of goods and services
D. large or Important enough to have an effect
E. a black substance made by burning wood slowly in an oven with little air used
F a tree with long branches and long thin leaves that often grows near water
b Decide if the sentences are T (true) or F (false).
1. Willow basket making is the oldest traditional craft in Someset
2. Willows can grow well in the area because of its favourable natural condition.
3. The presence of plastic products did not afffect the growth of basket making industry in
the area in the 1950s.
4. Basket making does not play an important role in the in the area.
5. Willow growers and basket makers have found new ways to promote their industry.
6. Basket makers can live on their craft nowadays.
c Answer the questions.
1. Where are the Somerset Levels?
2. How many acres of willows were planted commercially there at the beginning of the 19th
3. How did the author feel when he visited the place?
4. What are some innovative products made in the area?
5. Is basket making passed down through generations?
1 Make sentences using the words and phrases below. You can add extra words or make
1. There/be/some/famous/pottery village/Viet Nam/as Chu Dau/BatTrang/Bau True
2. Bau Truc/one/old/pottery Village/Southeast Asia.
3. It/locate/ten/ kilometre/ Phan Rang City.
4. There/young girl/twelve to fifteen years old/begin/learn/how/make/pottery.
5. They know/how/make/pottery product/from/pot/to/small jar.
2 Complete each complex sentence using your own ideas.
1. While I was shopping in my favourite fashion shop
2. My mother goes to Bat Trang Ceramic Village every month so
3. My close friends love doing yoga in that centre
4. ..........though we have lots of similar products at home.
5. We decided to have a picnic in Green Park after
3 You receive an email from Elena, your pen pal in the UK. She asks you to write to her
about your favourite places of interest in your area.
Write an email telling her about these places.
[; ^JSsnd ệ » t 4 jL T ÉÉÚ ilì Oẹtions.- * I HTML * I . .... ..,■
-J From: _(your email address)
oJ To: i " .................T--'--in • ....., . . • ~
Subject. My favourite places of interest
I really enjoyed reading your email! Now I'm going to tell you all about my favourite places
When you come to my city, I hope I'll be able to show you some of these places. Bye for now,
1 Practise reading the short conversations, paying attention to the difference in the underlined
She's still sleeping.
You don't seem happy about the new gym being built.
1 don’t. What about YOU?
3. Daughter: Everybody's going to the party. What about us, mum? Shall we go, too?
1 won't. But YOU can go.
Thev live in the inner city, but thev're homeless.
Are they? Where do they sleep at niqht?
2 Mark the underlined words as w (weak) or s (strong). Then act out the conversations with a
1. A: Look at those people over there. Do YOU know
B: 1 know her. but 1 don’t know him.
2. A: Who broke that vase?
B: You did!
A: No 1 didn't, YOU did!
3. A: Are you feeling all right?
B: i am, but my dog isn't.
4. A: She said she knew the wav.
B: But she's not here now.
3 Work with a partner. Create a similar conversation strong and weak forms.
in which there are pronouns pronounced in
1 Complete the following puzzle.
1. The noun form of the word 'poor’.
2. A long line of cars that moves very slowly or doesn't move at all.
3. When the air, water, etc., is dirty and dangerous.
4. People who live by asking others for money or food.
5. An area of the city where living conditions are very bad.
6. A situation where too many people live in one place.
7. Having no home or nowhere to live.
8. An act that goes against the public good.
2 Complete the sentences with the words/phrases from the list. Make changes to the words
set up packed
go around melting pot
feature keep up with
1. Some people believe that skyscrapers are a ______________ of big cities.
2. We have to .............more schools to meet the demand of the increasin
of children in the area.
3. Ho Chi Minh City is like a ………… of people from different areas.
4. While visiting Da Nang, we all the World Heritage Sites nearby.
5. The is a kind of circular junction, where traffic flows continuou a central island.
6. It is difficult to ……… the raoid Dace of chanae in bia cities.
of big cities.
more schools to meet the demand of the increasing numbers
is a kind of circular junction, where traffic flows continuously around
J^jí£jsầ.. the rapid pace of change in big cities. wtfy area includes the city itself, and the
surrounding suburbs or other
a central island.
6. It is difficult to
7. The Vs
8. During th6 morning and evening rush hours, cities often bGComG people and vehicles.
Use the correct form of the words given In brackets to finish the sentences. 1. Our city has
some fashionable shops, but I.hoy «1 rt* not very (afford)
2. Many people, move to the city biCttilS© I hoy enjoy the (pleasure)
lence) 0h lỹịUỊÂt/đ;
3. New York is a multi-(culture) (jM over the world living in It.
4. City authorities are spending (much) oht
City authorities are spending (much) wỢAỊ an< money on public transport to make It (good) i
5* - What's the (small) ..........country in the world?
- I think it's Monaco.
city, It has people from all m jnd (much)
4 Choose the best answer to complete the sentences.
1. When I turned up, the town hall was already_of teenagers.
A. full / B. packed c. crowded D. jammed
2. She turned_the new job in New York because she didn't want to move.
A. on B. down ✓ c. off D. up
3. This city has one of the most_underground rail networks in the world.
the other one.
4. This laptop is much more user-friendly, but it costs_
A. so much as B. as many as c. twice as much as D. twice as many
5. Today's cities are_than cities in previous times.
A. lots larger B. much larger / c. as large D. the largest
6. After I found all the information I needed, I_the computer.
A. turned off < B. switched on c. looked for D. put off
7. Japan is the_developed country in the world. „
A. most second B. second in most c. second most / D. two most
8. Factories and offices should be built in_areas only.
A. rural B. coastal c. cultural D. urban ^
5 Complete each sentence (1-6) with an appropriate ending (A-F).
1. That's enough for today - let's go ... C/
2. Tam had a good opportunity to show ^
3. Our class are really looking x~
4. He'd like to have more time to think .Jr*
5. Janet is very friendly and generally gets ị)
^ ............................-.........------" ' " " ‘ — ■ A. the foreign visitors around his family's workshop.
'••V..............'.................____-.V A . ■'
I B. on well with the people she works with, c. on with it tomorrow.
‘ 1 ‘ • V'.y’ V V" • ................ ....... ' ■ .....
I D. up with the others any more.
....---------E. forward to having a trip to the National Park
6. Halfway through the race, Phong found that he couldn't keep... Q
I over everything before he makes a decision.
6 Complete each sentence with the correct form of a verb from the box. You don't need to use
live turn break get give
keep come take find go
1. - Has Phuc arrived yet?
- No, but I'm sure he _______up soon.
2. My aunt never really over the death of her pet dog.
3. It's not easy to ..........up smoking. My uncle has tried to do it lots of times without
4. Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt you. Please ................ on and finish what you are saying.
5. I enjoyed living in London, but it didn't really......-Mi-d...........up to my expectations.
6. I'm sorry I'm late, but the car ... .........down on the way here, so I had to phone for a
7. You were going too fast! I couldn't ,_„któP____________up with you.
8. Remember to ..............out how many people are coming to the party.
7 Read the text and underline the six phrasal verbs. Match each of them with a
synonym/definition given, according to its meaning in the text.
try to find or get write (down) realise the truth
increasing reject gave time and attention
When Laura was a university student in the city, she found it very difficult to live on her grant
when prices were going up all the time, so she decided to look for a part-time job. When she
saw an advertisement in the paper for snack bar staff, she sat down to apply for the job. She
wasn't sure how best to present herself on paper, so she just put down the details of her
education and experience. The owner of the bar rang some days later to ask her to come for an
interview the following day. When she arrived, she was nervous because she felt sure he
could see through her claims to have worked as a waitress before, and would turn her down.
But finally the interview was over, and he shook hands with her and said, ‘See you next week,
1 Work with a partner. Which of the following cities are capitals? What countries are they in?
Example: Manila is the capital of the Philippines.
Rio de Janeiro Seoul
2 Work with a partner to answer the question:
Which of the following are likely to be features of city life?
Overcrowding Modern lifestyles Shopping centres ■ Fresh air
- Close community
- Peaceful atmosphere
- Good culture and entertainment
- Noise pollution
I Relaxed pace of life
Talk about your city/town, or a city/town you know, using the features above. Look at
Ours is a medium-sized town. It doesn't have a large shopping centre, but there is a lot of
entertainment, without the problems of overcrowding ...
3 Work in pairs. Read the information about Ho Chi Mirth City, the largest city in Viet Nam.
Then ask and answer questions about it.
City: Ho Chi Minh City Location: south Viet Nam Founded:1698 Population: 8 million
(2014) Main features:
- Notre-Dame Cathedral
- War Remnants Museum
- Cu Chi Tunnels
- Suoi Tien Amusement Park Climate: tropical
Example: Where's Ho Chi Minh City?
It's in the south of Viet Nam.
1. What is special about Venice?
2. Where's Los Angeles?
3. What can visitors do in Venice?
4. Which city is famous for its entertainment industry?
5. Which city do you like better? Why?
Read the two passages and answer the questions below.
Venice is a beautiful city in northeastern Italy. It is called "The Floating City" as it is built on
117 small islands. This city has no roads. Instead, people use boats to travel along the canals.
Flat-bottomed boats were once the main means of transport, but today motor boats are more
popular. In Venice, you can visit the famous Piazza San Marco with its world famous basilica,
the lovely bridges over the narrow canals, and some of the best museums in Western Europe.
Los Angeles is the most populous city in California, and the second most populous city in the
USA. It is a global city, a centre of business, international trade, entertainment, culture,
media, and fashion. The Los Angeles area includes Hollywood, and leads the world in the
creation of television productions, video games, and recorded music.The weather here is
usually dry and warm. Visitors like to go to the film studios and to drive along Hollywood
Boulevard. There are also some good beaches near the city, such as Venice Beach.
2 Fill each blank with a suitable word to complete the passage.
If you live in a city, you will probably see many people, hear the noise of t raff ic, and smell
the pollution cars and factories.
We are living in a new era in the history of the world. Before this, most people were farmers.
They lived in small communities in the (2) ựỊỊỊịtộUMỈ/ Now many people are leaving the
farms and moving into the cities. They
are looking for (3) ịgịịỂ&/.....jobs. As a result, the .cities are growing very
quickly. Most cities are becoming more (4) (AOWQyjfl . People are driving more cars,
burning more fuel, using mpre water, eating more food, making more garbage, and (5) ặ|
^(ÌJH£iJ'.rỊnore things in factories than 1 ever before. Life in modern cities can bring many
opportunities, but also I many difficulties.
The authorities are trying to plan for a better future. They are building new
roads, putting (6)______ML......new houses, looking for more water sources,
and limiting growth in certain areas. But people are still crowding into the
I I/ ^
cities faster (7) Jjmfy______the cities can take them. The cities are (8) 'ỆỀỀỀẾÈi out of
space. There are no
easy answers to this problem.
3 Choose the correct option A, B, c, or D for each gap in the passage.
Homelessness is a problem in many big cities in the world. It occurs when a part
of the population does not have any (1)__________place to call home. Hundreds of
millions of people in the world spend at least some time of the year homeless. This is an issue
that the authorities are trying to (2)__________. However, there are
(3 )_________things that each person can do to help those people.
One of the things that you can do to help the homeless is to volunteer your time. If you have a
lot of free time, you might go on an extended trip to help
(4) ......... homes or improve an impoverished area. Even with just a few hours
a week, it is possible to make an impact in your own city. You can also sign up
to help at a (5) ......soup kitchen: most cities have a mission of some kind
(6) food to the homeless and offering temporary shelter.
1. A. common B. regular
2. A deal with B, get over
c look through D, find out
3. A. little
4. A. care for B, show around c. set up
D. pull down
6. A. cooking B. supporting
A Hffl 1 T2
Complete the second sentence in each pair so that it has a similar meaning to the first
1. This exhibition is much more interesting than the last one.
The last exhibition was
2. The teacher says that no student in the school is noisier than I am!
The teacher says that
3. This book is the least interesting I've ever read.
I have never_______________:________________________I
4. I think VungTau City is the most liveable'city in Viet Nam.
I think there is no_________________________________I________________•
5. This city is the same as it was in the 1990s.
This city hasn't I_____________________________________________•
6. He found the visit to the gallery quite depressing.
2 Rewrite each sentence so that the new sentence has a similar meaning to the original one,
using the word in brackets.
1. You should use a dictionary to check the meaning of new words. (LOOK)
2. The doctor told my father to stop smoking. (GIVE)
3. The cost of living has been increasing considerably in the past few weeks. (UP)
4. Margaret Thatcher was born and spent her childhood in the town of Grantham,
Lincolnshire, England. (GREW)
5. His business is going badly - he'll have to stop doing it soon. (CLOSE)
6. My aunt has got two teenage children, but they don't seem to have a good relationship
with each other. (GET)
3 Make an outline, then write a paragraph of about 100 words on one of the problems of city
life* (You can refer to the sample paragraph in your textbook.)
Some ideas you can use are:
I housing shortage '
- urban sprawl
- high cost of living
I social evils
TEEN STRESS AND PRESSURE
Practise saying these sentences, paying attention to how the verb forms of be are pronounced.
1. - Aren't you interested in taking this course?
-1 am. But I'm not sure when to take it.
2. Minh Due is interested in playing football, but Hoang Thu
3. - Do you think they are coming?
- Yes, they are coming. Don't worry.
4. - Are you tired?
- Yes, I am.
5. -Aren't you taking the bus? It's very far to walk.
- Yes, I am taking the bus. When is the next one coming?
Look at the verb form of be in bold in each pair of sentences. Which one should be stressed?
Practise saying both of them.
1. a. is it important for teenagers to learn
b. Isn't it important for teenagers to learn life skills?
2. a. He was frustrated,
b. - Was he frustrated?
- Yes, he was.
3. a. - Isn't swimming your favourite sport?
- Yes, swimming is my favourite sport but today the water is too cold for me.
b. Swimming is my favourite sport.
Underline the verb forms of tw which should be stressed In the following sentences. Then
1. He wasn't depressed, Mo w
2. Isn't this painting beautiful/
3. - Are you going to the stipornuirkcM now?
- Yes, I am, Do you need something?
4. - I thought he wasn't good at cooking.
- Oh yes, he is. He can cook almost anything.
5. - Is it raining?
- No, it isn't, We can go now.
Choose the word that DOES NOT fit ỉn the sentences.
1. You may feel _____________________before taking an important exam.
2. You have finished your exam, and you think you did quite well. You may feel
3 You have a problem with your classmates at school and you don't know
who to talk to. You may feel_, (worried/delighted/stressed/depressed)
4. You are asked to fix a broken bicycle chain and you are not sure what to do. You may
5. You have moved to a new school and you know nobody there. You may feel_,
6. You notice something strange happening to your body when
you start your adolescence. You may feel___.
2 Match the verbs in A to the nouns in B.
BH^HHhẽẽIhÌ iliBI >»¥■%-• mBE
Bililliil IBI Rilii
b. healthy habits
d. informed decisions
5. ask for
3 Use the phrases created in 2 to complete the following sentences.
1. Recognising your feelings is a way to___I
2. Our teacher said we should_such as sleeping at least eight hours a night, and exercising
3. ‘I'm fighting with my sister again! It feels like we can never_our_n
4. ‘Don't act too quickly! You should consider both the good points and bad points in order
to _n my father advised me.
5. He is a very wise man. He knows when to_and when to wait.
6. 'When you are in trouble, who do you A Match the skill to the example.
1. Social skills
3. Housekeeping skills
4. Emotion control skills
V asked the survey.
a. do laundry b. collaborate with other people
d. plan your time
w what to do when you have a cold
f. fix a bicycle g. concentrate on a particular task manage your anger
i. communicate with other people j. cook for yourself
5 Turn the following statements into indirect/reported speech.
1. f Have you seen her recently?’ asked Thanh.
2. 'Last night I couldn't sleep!’ she said.
3. 'I am on my way,’ he said.
4. 'We want to send our son to a university in the UK,’ they said.
5. 'Have you ever tried calling a helpline?’ the teacher asked Ngoc.
6. 'Tell Emma I miss her very much,’ she told me.
6 Turn the following sentences into direct speech.
1 He advised me to visit the company's website.
2. They said he hadn't come to the meeting.
3. She asked if 1 wanted to become a doctor.
4. They said the support service would be set up in December.
n My mother said she had sent me the book the week before.
6. He asked if it was too late to apply for the course.
7 Rewrite the follow sentences using question words before to-infinitives.
1. fWhen should I start the computer?’ Nguyen asked his teacher.
—► Nguyen asked
2. I don't really know what I should say in my graduation speech.
Can you help me?
— I don't really know__ I Can you help me?